January 10, 2007

Sneakin Veggies To The Kiddos


Go Check out ROCKS IN MY DRYER for more great ideas!

Out of my four children I have an 11 year old carnivore, a 10 year old self-proclaimed vegetarian, (How can you, like, eat something that you can pet, mom?) and a 6 and 3 year old that are Never Ending Bottomless Pits Of Starvation that can never be full unless faced with a plate of broccoli. (I'm not hungry anymore, mommy)

So what does any good woman do?

Go. Stealth.

I have made an art form out of jamming vegetables into unsuspecting children all while they thank me for their yummy treat.

That almost makes me cackle and wring my hands with evil pleasure.

ALMOST

So since I can't really fit all my sneaky veggie recipes in this one little ol blog I'm going to give you my most Jam Packed With Veggies But They Are Tottaly Clueless recipe and let you go from there.

You will be amazed, nay astonished, at the amount of veggies, and I mean the really gnarly ones, you can sneak into this recipe because what CAN'T you disguise with chili powder, right?

Vegetarian Chili (but I add meat)

1 small onion
1 large green bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup red wine or water
3 cloves garlic
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 beef bouillon cubes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 cans kidney or pinto beans rinsed and drained
1 lb. ground meat, browned

HERES THE SECRET! Put all your veggies through the food processor so they are smashed to smitherines. I mean pulverized till they are liquid, seriously! They'll never know!

Pour it all in a pot over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Serve with sour cream or grated cheese on top.

Another WORKS FOR ME tip is that I quadruple this recipe and then freeze it for days that I just don't feel like cooking!

Wow, two tips in one, huh?

Oh, and 1/6 of the recipe equals 300 calories.

It Works For Me!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...