March 7, 2007

Marriage Is A Luxury Item?!?

This was the headline that caught my eye today….

Numbers drop for those married with children. U.S. Census says 1 in 4 households have traditional families. (They mean a married man and woman)

The article goes on to state that….

“The culture is shifting and marriage has become a luxury item, one that only the well educated and well paid are interested in,” says marriage expert Isabel Sawhill.

Hmm…..very interesting.

First I’d like to set the record straight. Whoever classifies luxury items (ie. Furs, jewels, caviar, big screen TV’s) with marriage has frankly NEVER BEEN MARRIED! I don’t quite consider waking up in the middle of the night to the smell of a secretly released stink bomb and a long hairy man arm pinning me to the bed, a luxury. Nor do I find that the self control it takes to keep my big opinionated mouth shut when my husband has dreamed up a plan to sell our home and live on a teeny tiny boat with our FOUR children, anywhere within the realm of pampered luxury.

I love the cuddles, laughs, companionship, personal growth and the product…….my kids.

BUT LUXURY? You’ve got to be kidding.

Lady, this is work!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...