March 23, 2007

Raising Boys Is, Um, Different!


I was waiting at the drive through window at the best burger joint in town with my 3 year old in the backseat. We were bringing home dinner for the crew and having some quality alone time.

We laughed and giggled and I listened to his ever-so-important-to-a-three-year-old conversation that usually contains references to poo-poo, a retelling of the day’s events and several words that I just can’t interpret.

And this huge welling of love rose up in me as I listened to my ‘baby’ share his deep thoughts and perspectives on life. In a rush of emotion I needed to rub his baby soft pudgy skin so I asked him if I could hold his hand while we waited for our burgers.

It was a beautiful moment.

My son said, “Shoor, Mom,” and then….

SPIT A BIG LOOGY INTO HIS HAND AND REACHED OUT TO SHAKE LIKE WE WERE MAKING A SPIT PACT!!!

Oh. Yes. He. Did.

Sometimes I forget that I’m the mother of boys.


4 comments:

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog.

Boys ARE different! We have one boy and three girls, but I swear I should get to count him, like, 3 times. When he's quiet and I can't find the screwdriver, I know there's mischief afoot.

;~D.

DarkWing said...

....they have cooties too!


lol, too cute!

Anonymous said...

LOL!! YES! I have three boys, two girls, and the differences are amazing! Our six year old son, when he was three, loved to play with daddy's electric screwdriver. One day we were out in my husband's shop, and our son was doing is usual thing, using the screwdriver against the legs of the workbench. I watched him carefully and realized, he was actually UNSCREWING all the screws that were holding the bench TOGETHER! Every last one was sticking out about two inches. Sometimes I just don't know what to make of them, those boys. Gotta love 'em though!

Grace thanks for visiting my blog! :)

EE said...

My youngest is a boy, and the "boy thing" still freaks me out:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...