May 28, 2007

Chef Gayle

I hate recipe posts. They are so B-O-R-I-N-G. But, a couple of you asked, so here are a few of our favorite breakfast recipes.

Oatmeal Bar

The kids love the idea of a salad bar so I've incorporated that into our breakfast menu. On occasion we have an oatmeal bar. I just make regular oats and then place a row of goody filled bowls down the center of the table and everyone gets to doctor up their own. Usually I put out a pitcher of vanilla soy milk/cow milk, (whichever I happen to have) and then bowls of brown sugar, coconut, dried fruits (apricots, cranberries, raisins, apples) chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts). They absolutely love this idea!

Another recipe I talked about is Puffed Oven Pancakes with Blueberry sauce. (I usually put these in and then jump in the shower real quick.)

Puffed Oven Pancake

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
2 Tbs sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon

Spray 9 inch pie plate with Pam. Whisk eggs and milk. Add in last 3 ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Pour into pie plate and bake for 18-22 minutes at 425 degrees or until sides curl up and are crisp and golden brown. (These GROW in the oven so don't worry if they look like they are slowly exploding). I triple this batch to serve 6 of us.

Blueberry Sauce

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbs cornstarch
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (any berry works)
1/4 tsp vanilla

Combine brown sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Whisk in orange juice until smooth. Stir in blueberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. (Great for the toddler to do, cuz isn't everything constant?) Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Spoon over pancake servings.

Baked French Toast

This one has NO nutritional value whatsoever. It's just a treat.

Follow link HERE!

And a new one I just put in the fridge to cook for the morning is....

Crustless Bacon and Cheese Quiche

1 cup chopped tomatoes
12 slices bacon
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
12 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 cup shredded mozzarella

(You can make this a "skinny" recipe by using fat free cheese and sour cream and egg substitue or just egg whites.)

Preheat to 325. Reserve 2 Tbs tomatoes; set aside. Cook bacon till crisp. Remove and drain reserving 1 Tbs bacon drippings in skillet. Cook mushrooms in drippings for 2 mins. Remove from heat, chop bacon. Add to mushrooms with tomatoes. mix well. Beat eggs and sour cream with whisk until well blended. Pour into greased 13 x 9 inch dish. Top with bacon mix and cheese. Bake 30 minutes or until center is set. Sprinkle with reserved tomatoes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Ok, already. I'll stop. But I haven't even got the my plethora of pancake and muffin recipes. Let me know if you want more. Otherwise, I'm leaving the recipe blogs to someone else.

Gayle

3 comments:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Thanks, girl! They sound yummy. I'll be trying them!

I'm not bored at all by this post. Far from it. Inspired and in awe of your kitchen prowess, but not bored! Whenever I see a new Grace4Gayle on my bloglines, I'm happy- yours is DEFINITELY a favorite. You're a great writer and I love it all and I doubt I'll ever be bored. I'll tell you if I am. ;)

Anonymous said...

We do the Oatmeal Bar also! ( : - and my kids love it also - we also include if we have them on hand - fresh fruit like chopped apples and bananas - we love to add lime and orange zest also - honey, molasses,cinnamon, butter and sour cream are a few more great stir-ins -

Halfmoon Girl said...

I love the breakfast bar idea. i enjoy collecting fav recipes. Keep sharing them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...