November 21, 2007

Ways To Make A Little Extra Casharooni!


Being a “stay at home” mom, (gosh that sound like I’m locked in the house eating chocolates) I’m always looking for ways to add to the family coffers. And I’ve found a few things that really work for me.

The first is E-bay. Not only can you find super bargains there but you can have your very own virtual garage sale without the hard work of sweeping out and organizing your garage. It’s pretty easy to sell as long as you have a digital camera and the ability to form a sentence. There are a ton of books out there that can walk you through the steps of selling on ebay. My personal tips are to take good pictures and research what you want to sell before you list it. If you have an old Elvis album but there are already 20 already listed and not selling, than you don’t want to add yours. And the most important tip is to always search for it on E-bay before you throw something away.

Case in Point:

When we bought our current house it came with a built in mixer in the counter with tons of attachments like a meat grinder and mixing bowls and stuff like that. I was putting it into the Goodwill pile but something made me stop and check if it was in demand on E-bay. Well lo and behold, they didn’t make the built in mixers anymore and everyone who still had one in their house was vying for the pieces to replace their old parts. That box of goodwill stuff sold for over $500.

The next great way to make a little cash if you’re a crafty sort is an Etsy store. It basically works similar to listing on E-bay but the fees are much cheaper. Again, all you need is a digital camera, the ability to form a sentence, and something handmade to sell and you’ve got a great source of income. The buyer pays shipping, it only costs 20 cents per item to list it, and Etsy keeps 3.5% of your sales. Cheaper than E-bay folks and really user friendly.

My Etsy Store is HERE!

So go see more Works For Me Wednesday tips and get ready for lots of Turkey on Thursday!

15 comments:

EE said...

I know I could make a ton of money if I sold stuff on EBAY, but I just can't bring myself to do it...I'm terrified that I'll get negative feedback:o
Never heard of Etsy...very cool...I'll have to go check it out!

Lady Why said...

I've heard all sorts of good things about etsy! I've got to check that out! Thanks!

Melissa Markham said...

I also sell on Ebay. It's amazing what some stuff will sell for! I sell for friends too for a partial commission. I don't have time to do crafty stuff anymore, but Etsy is a great place to shop!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Susan said...

Ebay Rocks, we have made good money selling junk! Too bad I am not crafty, Etsy sounds great.

Anonymous said...

Your etsy items are adorable.

carrie said...

your etsy store is really neat! I had no idea you were so crafty.

ConservaChick said...

Are those APRONS! YOU KNOW THOSE ARE MY WEAKNESS! I am so shopping at your store!!!! ~Karlie

ConservaChick said...

WHAT! There are no Karlie size aprons! I guess I could try to fit into a childs, but it might deflate the ego a bit. Do you do requests, for extra special friends that you LOVE???? ~Karlie

Mandy said...

Yep, Ebay has been a great source of extra cash for me. I love your Etsy stuff, too!

Blessed Beyond a doubt.... said...

Great tips. Happy Thanksgiving!

http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

What a good example you are to your girl! :) I feel like my lack of home ec skills has been a detriment to them.

Your stuff is adorable, Gayle!

Unknown said...

Thanks for explaining about etsy.
I've seen it but didn't know what you've told me.

Thanks!

Feel welcome to visit me at:

Laane on the World

Happy Thanksgiving!

Chelle said...

I have been tossing around the idea of starting some online selling for ages. Etsy sounds really great!

Jen said...

My friend does Ebay and she is very successful at it. I have stuff sitting here that I know would sell, but I just can't seem to bring myself to listing it. Silly, I know!

I love your aprons. Now I know where to come if I need one.

Ms. Kathleen said...

Wonderful ideas! I love the Etsy Idea and I sell on Amazon as well, mostly books, CD's and DVD's. I pick up book and such for basically nothing at rummage sales and such. Lovely!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...