February 14, 2008

We Are Creating Family Memories Here Folks

It has been thirty years since I've been on a road trip with my Mom, Dad and sister and probably about that time since I've had a slumber party with my sister.

Do you realized how much blogging material this creates?

My parents drive much slower....an 8 hour trip to Redding, California turned into a 10 hour day. Gone are the days where Dad would only stop when our eyeballs were floating in our own urine and the only meals we ate were snacks out of a cooler so we could get there faster.

My grandmother, who had never been on an airplane in her life, got her first flight AFTER her death as they transported her back to California. We got a good kick out of that one.

I'm really missing my husband, not out of emotion necessarily, but I can't stand having a stranger talk about my Grandma at the funeral. Chris is the guy who handles all things religious in our family. I volunteered to do it myself but thankfully they all said no. You know how I am with public speaking. Although it would have been nice to lose a few pounds after all the restaurant eating we've done.

Oh, and our first motel was the nastiest thing I've ever seen. NEVER STAY AT THE HOWARD JOHNSON EXPRESS IN REDDING CALIFORNIA! I kid you not! The bed has so much hair in it that if it had a heartbeat it would have been human. We slept fully dressed and wouldn't touch the ground with our bare feet. We hopped from bed to bed to get to the front door and I had to pick pubic hairs off the shower head before my shower. How they got up there, I hope I never find out!

My sweet hubby slipped valentines into my pile of underwear in the suitcase. Can't get much sweeter than that can it?

And I'm sitting at the most high-tech library I've ever seen. They have self service check out and it's as cool as a Starbucks with a cafe and a book store inside.

If I can make my way back here, I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers!

9 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

Yuck to that hotel. Hair is not good.

Isn't it funny when we realize that our parents are getting quirky as they age?

Hope all goes well, keep us posted when you can.

That sounds like an AWESOME library!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

The line "Do you realized how much blogging material this creates?" had me laughing out loud. :)

NAS-TAY hotel room. I stayed in one just like that once. I was with a group of friends. It was so disgusting. And when we FINALLY turned out the lights as we were laying on our nasty beds, we saw written on the wall in glow-in-the-dark paint, "OSAMA YOUR MAMA."

:)

Anonymous said...

ewwww...groooooosss! way to find the silver lining...family memories. Unforgettable. We stayed in a place like that on a trip last year. Creeped me right out. "We chose poorly." Hey, when you're tired, you're tired! I've finally joined the crowd over here at blogger. Hope you'll come by and say hi!

EEEEMommy said...

Blog fodder abounds!
I'm glad you found time for an update. It sounds like quite an interesting trip so far.
Yuk! about the hotel. You're not still staying there are you? I'll pray for you!

ConservaChick said...

I don't know Gayle...I like your public speaking, and maybe if you flash the audience at your grandma's funeral... oh never mind, I won't go there.

I stayed at a hotel once where we got attacked by ants, although the hairy bed sounds worse. ~Karlie

carrie said...

ewwwww!

Leanne said...

Dave read the part about the hotel and laughed! We won't be staying there if we decide to take that road trip this fall!

Hey, you know what sounds totally awesome right now?

Brie Mushroom Bisque....with Old Creekside's taco salad!!!!!

I wonder if you guessed that I was going to say that??!!

Not sure when we can do lunch again, I'm down for the count for I-don't-know-how-long.......

Anyway, hope you made it through the drive back to WA in one piece and you still have all your beautiful hair (if you didn't pull all of it out over the week!)

Come home soon!

Leanne

Melissa Stover said...

so sorry to hear about your grandmother.

EE said...

No picts of the hair???

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...