September 20, 2008

If You Snooze You Lose? I Don't Think So!

I'm a morning person.

I like to get up early and attack my list of things to do. I like to be the first one up and have breakfast in the oven, coffee brewing, dishes loaded in the dishwasher and my first load of laundry running before anyone else pokes their heads out from under the covers. I like to take a long sweaty jog up and around the hills where I live, hit the showers, and be dressed and ready when the storm of people come running down the stairs looking for breakfast.

Sleeping in to me means hitting the snooze alarm and getting up at 7:30 instead of 6:00.

So yesterday was my last big hurtle in the crazy-busy life I've been leading for the past few weeks. Days full of ministry obligations, a speaking engagement, a huge birthday party and three birth DAYS, guests for dinner, my own life stresses, board meetings, homeschooling and just TOO MUCH!

So getting past yesterday was like leaping over the final hurdle in a race. I knew when I came down on the other side I could relax. And that's just what I did.

This rise and shine girl had her first taste of sleeping in. My eyes didn't pop open this morning until 11AM. That's right. ELEVEN IN THE MORNING! I slept my whole day away with nary a whisper of that sleep hangover I get when I've slept too much.

I do remember waking up once to a little hand tapping me on the shoulder and wondering what was for breakfast but in the fuzzy distance I heard my husband say, "Shhh, Mommy's sleeping," and then Chris got out of bed and slipped out of the bedroom shutting the door behind him.

When I finally woke up I jumped from the bed expecting that nobody had eaten and they had all run through my house making messes and leaving food all over the counters while Chris sat oblivious in the recliner staring at his laptop.

But when I peered out of my bedroom door I didn't hear a thing. I walked downstairs and somebody had unloaded and reloaded my dishwasher for me with all the dishes from our dinner guests last night, and everyone was quietly playing in their clean bedrooms.

When I finally managed to speak, I asked the kids if they had eaten breakfast and they told me yes but Daddy had fed them a pancake from the freezer with a scoop of ice cream and oreos on top. (courtesy of my guests last night that brought after dinner snacks).

And to top it all off, when I found Chris and started telling him about when soccer games were today, and who needed to shower, where all the gear was, what time we needed to leave....he just looked at me and said, "You just take care of yourself, I got it all covered."

Does that man rock or what?

15 comments:

Miriam said...

GOOD for YOU!! And yes - it does sound like your man rocks! Love the oreos and ice cream over pancakes - chocolate is an antioxidant :P

His Girl said...

perfect. just perfect.

Becky said...

You know your single friends are going to be asking if he has brothers. You do know that, don't you?

Unknown said...

ice cream and oreos on pancakes!!!
Wow! That's creative. With that kind of menu, the kids will want you to sleep in often! shoot, at dinner they'll probably ask you to take a nap!

Kat said...

Did you feel like Queen for the Day? Wow...

Terri said...

How awsome!

I had a date night last night...inspired by your blog a while ago :-)

Pufferfish Mommy said...

I'm sending my hubby over here to read this post. Except for the ice cream part... lol. :)

On second thought - he fed them breakfast.... who cares what they ate!?

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Yes! That is one rockin' man!!

40winkzzz said...

Yup, he rocks.

*I* was in bed til 11 yesterday, too, but not sleeping. *My* man brought me coffee AND MY LAPTOP in bed at 8:30 am. That is not usual. What is usual for Saturday morning is that he takes the kids out for bfast and I get the house to myself for a couple hours. Yesterday he decided to save money and make pancakes for the kids at home, and I guess he thought up the coffee-and-laptop in bed thing as a way of making sure I still got some "Me Time". Can't complain about that. Nor about the fact that he put excessive whipped cream on the pancakes. (He is *always* excessive with whipped cream.) At least he didn't put ice cream on them, although I bet he would have had he though of it.

(And yes, you read that right- he brought the coffee & laptop at 8:30 and I was still there at 11. Although I did get up at one point to eat a pancake, and then went back. :-)

Scott said...

I love getting ideas from blogs.

You mention "breakfast in the oven..."

I'm just curious how long and at what temperature you bake Cocoa Puffs?

Duckygirl said...

Is this the same guy who didn't feed himself an entire day just recently?? :)

Getting to sleeping 'til 11am ROCKS!

-Laura

Gayle said...

No duckygirl, that was my OTHER husband.

I'm tellin ya, this guys a mystery.

Halfmoon Girl said...

Yes, he rocks. How awesome is that!

Unknown said...

Your man does rock! What a great guy to take charge of things for you!

Angie said...

I am in total awe! That is just the most amazing thing to read! My DH is thoughtful and loving and all sorts of other things but.....that is just amazing! Good for you!

Angie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...