June 25, 2008

If You Want A Job At A Fast Food Restaurant, Try Not To Pick Your Nose While Filling Out The Application

We found ourselves at Arbys’ today for a quick lunch. I managed to gather the strange and very detailed orders of all my kids, transfer that vast knowledge to the lady at the register, and find a seat for 5 people.

I gave the littler ones THE speech. You know the one where I expect them to have good manners in a public place, to keep their voices down, to not fart if it’s going to be a loud one.

The speech was met with a loud toe-curling belch in the form of a “Yes, Mom!” from Malachi.

I think that went well.

So we sat and devoured our carnivorous lunch and just as I was going in for another bite of my crispy-chicken-bacon-and-swiss sandwich, I look up at the booth directly in front of me to see a teenage boy studiously filling out a job application while digging two-knuckles-deep into his right nostril.

We lock eyes, me with my sandwich halfway in my mouth, him with his finger up his nose. And without removing his finger, he smiles at me.

I gave a weak smile back and swallowed the bite, unchewed, that was already in my mouth. It scratched like sandpaper all the way down.

Granted, the guys gonna have good customer service skills because anyone who can smile around a finger wedged in their nostril has definitely got some skillz.

But honestly, all I could think about was the fact that next week my booger picking friend could be the guy making my sandwich.

14 comments:

Sarah said...

So nasty!

The (Almost) Amazing Mammarino said...

"Would you like boogers with that?"
"I guess snot."

"Hmmm . . these dried jalapenos are quite bland."

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I understand about coaching the kids. What is it about Arby's, anyway? Once when Drama Queen was 3, she asked loudly in the middle of Arby's, "Mommy, how come mans don't have big, floppy nipples like ladies do?"

Anonymous said...

Why do all the good blog stories happen to you. Lucky Girl You ;p
:>Michelle

Nikki said...

Eeeww...kack! Keep that boy away from all food prep areas...(but points for facial dexterity...)

Becky said...

I am speechless. I think I might have said something to the manager, but then again, I am pretty shy in person, so I might not have.

Susan said...

I'm still laughing.
Susan

Sarah said...

What is this world coming to? Honestly that is disgusting!

Unknown said...

Okay, I've got one question for you:

Was he Chinese?

Terrible, I know. But we see this ALL THE TIME. Worst is when they inspect the finger afterwards. It's enough to make me gag.

justjuls said...

That is so gross. I try to block out my teen years and all the fast food "inside scoops" of what happens there that was imparted to me during that time - or I would never be able to eat out, ever!

Growin' with it said...

bwhaaaaa. you have the most hilarious adventures. (loved the fart warning!). boy i know what ya mean, it's hard not to imagine what goes on behind that counter. this was one i'll laugh at all day long! and maybe gag a little too thinking about it! no fast food for lunch for us today.

Cassandra said...

Lest you think you only have to administer the fart warning becuase you have boys, I have to warn my girls the same way.
And to the booger boy...eeeewwww! Definately would give an anonymous call to the manager...you know...spare him the heartache of hiring this guy. Gross. :)

Anonymous said...

Several years back Hubs and I were at Captain D's ordering a little dinner (this was before we started eating healthy). Just as we sat down with our food we saw one of the guys worked there stick his hands down his pants and scratch....in the FRONT! Then he went back to the kitchen. Aaaaaaaaccckkkkkkk! I haven't eaten at a Captain D's since then.
I still get the willies just thinking about it.

His Girl said...

OH BLUCK!

Precision Quality Laser said...

GROSS!!! He didn't even remove his finger to smile???? Yuck!

@Rhen: Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! That is far nastier than booger picking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...